Friday, August 20, 2010

Some hidden treasures

For some time I was searching for this box (the one below), I knew I had it somewhere, last weekend I found it. The box was originally intended to make a bench power supply with multiple outputs (I bough at that time all the 78/79XX series of regulators values including for instance the 8V version.) and was built to my specs in a metal craft shop (at that time the closest electronics components shop was 30Km away, now the closest is 88Km..., I am not living in the same place, here is just 5km away). As a bonus I found an aluminum box I had forgot about and probably was to be used also in a multiple output bench power supply. If I recall the cassette player was used for music transmitting on my first ever transmitter...an FM 88-108Mhz one.... not everybody is perfect! Also found a board with some L200 regulators most probably for the power supply.

On the photo bellow you can see part of a schematic (also found) I think was for a school project of an digital thermometer using an temperature sensor, analog to digital converter and 7 segment displays...looking back, I must admire my past work...today I would probably search google... not avaiable in those times, only the local library and some brain power!

The board was an CB amplifier (if I recall), I guess I never finished it due the price of the output transistor, the only component not fitted. I marked the board with 94...so it's 1994... long time before my ham license :)
....I still have to find the board and the valve I had to make an AM (MF) transmiter, I know I have that somewere...that would make my day!

Now, the nice part is I got one "free" box, so why not using it to place another homebrew radio.
Some holes later and some grinding... here's the outcome. If you see the original aspect it was of no good as it was... you can say now it's even worse!
Removed the front panel of the airband receiver (it's only the Si570, the butons and the meter, fited the speaker and "voilá".


Now what shall I do with this...
My idea is to fit my new VHF receiver (the one using an SBL-1) but there's space on the left that can be used for this options, but, I am open to sujestions:

1 - An hf receiver comonly using the Si570 vfo.
2 - The companion VHF transmiter (still waiting for the pll board).
3 - A speaker grill, thus, removing the top speaker.
4 - Some input's and outputs plugs to be used as a test box
5 - A blank plate with a nice logo...

No comments: