Thursday, August 21, 2014

New oscilloscpe - Rigol DS1052E

...Yes, my third oscilloscope. First one, the "Kiotto" brand (nice crap of tech support) died some time ago. Then I bough a second hand "Hameg" HM307:


 (in need of some maintenance but still functional as long as I let it warm) which is on main shack.

This new "Rigol", I'v been thinking in getting it for almost a year, now was the time.
Here it is in all it's glory:



I am more productive building without an oscilloscope, only for some circuits that the wave form is important it will help me a lot, like the one in the picture.

Yes, if you want to know, the fan is noisy (I've seen server's less noisy) and yes you need to read the manual for more complex functions, for the default one just press the auto button. No, I will not try the 100Mhz hack for it....for now.
The scope comes with two test probes good to 6 Mhz.
The trace it's not as responsive as a crt scope but crt's can't do fft transformations or math on the input signals either.

I am almost sure the old Hameg will live longer since it can be repaired, the new modern equipments as soon as they have a problem, it's just a matter of sending to the bin.

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: