Sunday, May 20, 2012

Velleman K8055


This Saturday I was at the shack experimenting with a 74HC4060 as oscillator/freq. divider and a Polyakov mixer (more references to this on a latter post) and looked at a box containing 2 un-built Velleman K8055 kits....., since the Polyakov mixer was working (different from working at full performance), why not change a little bit and build one of the kits...
I have the kits since 2005 and the PCB board was printed in 2003.... originally it was to make a control box to remotely hard reboot computers in a data center but the project never went of.

Now the idea for the kit is to put connected to a low power PC running 24/24 switching different audio inputs from different receivers and also recording of environment values, like temperature, energy, wind speed, etc....


The built time was less than an hour and the instructions were not read :), just soldering directly from the component list...trust me I know what I do...

After installing the Linux version of the K8055 lib and utilities from here, time to configure and test, I was nervous since it was built in a hurry...

The only "issue" I had was with software in the usb hotplug in Fedora 6, the  usermap file is placed in /etc/hotplug and the k8055 file stays in a sub dir of name k8055, just a little different from the instructions but normal stuff due to distributions differences...

On to the real test, let's put a binary output of 224, analog #1 with 224 and analog #2 with 16:

The command is: k8055 -p:2 -d:224 -a2:224 -a1:16

my board I configured with address #2 (-p:2)

Here's the result:

So the left most led is the power indicator then at right the top most is the analog output with value of 224, bellow dimmer is the output #2 with value of 16 and then the binary for 224 (MSB on top)...
Inputs are on the left side of the board, reading also worked nice!
...now the "pain" part will be outside world connection and boxing of the board.


I am parting with the other kit, it's un-built and complet. I'm asking the value of 33.32 Eur that it cost'd me in April 2005 (still have the invoice) or the equivalent value in Amidon toroid cores :)...case you prefer an exchange...


Have a nice week!

No comments: