Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lead-free solder

Honestly I consider myself an average capacity solder, as you can see bellow I used already a fair amount of solder during my life...


...the lower one was bough by my father around 1990 and I recall he saying that it should last till next century, it did :), before that I used bits that I found on my father stuff an some offerings from the school lab....

Now with my ecological conscience I decided to try the lead-free solder you can see on top of the image, well, honestly I tough I was losing my ability to solder, besides the higher melting point than the "normal" stuff, components have to have cleaner surfaces for the solder to get a good grip. Another side issue is I have more burns in fingers since I have to keep components more time on hand on the same position or the solder will break....

Conclusion: I will finish this roll and get back to the environment unfriendly solder (so they say), else I will risk loosing or my fingers or patience to solder...

have fun!  




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a nearly empty solder reel with just a short piece left. I bought it when a teenager and thought "this will last a lifetime." Now I'm superstitious to use that last piece...

Like you I could not get on with lead-free solder. Fortunately you can still buy multicore on eBay so I now have a big new reel that will last even if I live to be 100!

Ricardo - CT2GQV said...

Thank you for the comment Julian!

I guess the idea is: Soldering is fun...except on lead-free!

..And keep that short piece on the reel!

73 de Ricardo