Saturday, November 27, 2010

PIC16F88 programing under Linux

I spent all this past week trying to program this 16F88 PIC for the APRS TNC by Bob Ball - WB8WGA. Well, not all the week but a considerable amount of time. Luckily for me I decided to test the programmer circuits in a rapid prototyping board instead of soldering. I think I tested 4 different schematics and 3 diferent software programmers. Here's what worked for me:

Schematic (external link image):
The dash lines are not connected in my prototype and it's a 16F88 pic in place.
Original site is at: http://yingtongdiddleipo.ee.wits.ac.za/help/picprog.html#3

Prototype board with pic in place:


PIC programmer in action:


Piklab version is: 0.15.0
Configuration is: JDM classic (delay 20)

Will probably make a more permanent programmer (in a PCB) but for now it's ok like this, I just needed 1 pic programed.

Now I already have the PIC in place on the APRS TNC PCB and look's that is working good, I have the command prompt and can issue commands! Unfortunately the shack computer is not working well so will test live reception in the near future, probably transmission also.

2 comments:

said...

comment should go under the PIC blog, not the What a blast blog..sri Ed

Ricardo - CT2GQV said...

Hello Ed,
No problem with the comment in the previous post.
I managed to program also the 16F84 with this hardware (JDM) using Piklab. I am sure the 16F628 would be possible also since with my last hardware (kind of serial direct) I programed both the 84 and 628 although under picprog.