Saturday, September 04, 2010

Light dimmer

Now for something completely unusual in this blog, I present the _incandescent_ light bulb dimmer (just in case you try to use this on a fluorescent bulb...).

How it all started: My parents bough a table lamp made in in the other side of the globe. Off course many products made there, maybe because of sea transport, have many faults on arrival :P. Well in fact I think it only worked for 1 minute before exploding in smoke, so on to me for repair, typical! The initial circuit was of so low quality and lousy components that I decided to rebuild the bloody thing, including the power cable.
Some time later here's the finished product now much more dependable and expecting a long life...

and the schematic:



The tricac is a BT138 that I had since 1988 (probably last time I build something like this), the diac is a BR100 and the potentiometer is 100k in value. Observe capacitor voltage ratings if your going to duplicate this... at least 400v just in case...

Should work for controlling the soldering iron temperature but my iron problem is not excess temperature.. :) so will not build one for me. By the way, bough another 250g solder roll, I think it's the second one this year...

No comments: