Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Cold heather


Yesterday I notice the soldering iron getting cold, immediately checked mains power (just looked at the soldering table light) and then I thought maybe the cable entering the iron handle got broken, twisted it a little bit and looked like the problem was over.... today I continued re-cablling the "Speaky" and at some point the soldering iron got cold again, this time it didn't resuscitate....

...and yes I checked continuity on the element...open!
 It was a "good" friend for over 8 years...now I have to buy a replacement heather element which is roughly half the price of a new iron....


...and you still have to have another iron to solder the new element.

One thing that is lasting less than expected was the new tip I bought two years ago

the original one and the one afterward lasted much lounger, probably their reducing manufacturing costs or outsourcing...




No comments: