Monday, February 17, 2014

Fixing broken plastic parts.

Hello, I'm back...

I'm sure everyboddy allready had to fix some platic parts on a radio or on any other equipment.

Normally I use resin type glue or cyanocrylate one if very small parts. This time and because of a new addition to the shack decided to try a new method. And that is because some plastic bits were missing as you can see:

I have to recreate the missing plastic part from the battery holder compartment lock of my new radio equipment: for me that is. Fresh buy from an online auction in unknown working state.

The idea of this glueing method is to use cyanocrylate glue with some agglomerating particles making a stronger part and filling the voids. The particles are basically baking soda, my guess the original inventor used it because it's a very fine powder.

Got the idea from this well documented video on youtube:

Here's the outcome of the fix, it works, and I was carried away and fixed also some small screw bindings posts to hold the front panel (no pictures of that sorry):

 First I made a small holding form from plastic tape to hold the first layers, then was just a matter of adding more glue and more baking soda.

Honestly I got surprised with the quality. It's not perfect but works quite good.

I still have the rest of baking soda pack to make some cake.....

Have a nice week!


PE4BAS, Bas said...

Intereseting method. I will keep it in mind. 73, Bas

Ricardo - CT2GQV said...

Thanks Bas!
I will try also the baking soda for contact cleaning.